The Rising intonation indicates how the voice rises at the end of a sentence or phrase.
We use the Rising intonation in questions which answer is "Yes" or "No".
Is that the newcinema?
Yes, they opened it yesterday.
(with this question the person is looking for a Yes/No answer).
Is that yourbrother?
In a sentence or phrase, the Falling intonation indicates how the voice falls on the final stressed syllable.
We use the Falling intonation in Wh - Questions.
Questions beginning with...
Where’s the nearestbank?
(the tone of the voice falls in "Bank" because it is the last stressed syllable).
Who is your bestfriend?
Where do youlive?
What time does the showstart?
What's your favouriteteam?
When we want the message to be very clear or we want to sound determined.
I think we are thebest.
(The person who is talking definitely thinks they are the best).
She is singing reallybad.
You are absolutelywrong.
Here’s thepencil you wanted.
We are notscreaming.
The Fall-rise intonation refers to how the voice falls and then rises at the end of a sentence.
When we are not sure about what we are saying or when we want to add more info.
It's cloudy most of the time.
(but not all the time).
The person speaking wants to say that it's cloudy most of the time (but not all the time) without saying it.
I think it'sWednesday.
(but I'm not sure).
I am not working at themoment.
(but I may be in the future).
When we want to sound polite, especially in questions when we request information or invite somebody to do something.
Would you like another tea?
(The person speaking sounds more polite).
Could you please close the door?
(The person speaking doesn't sound rude when asking for something).
Read that again please.
Do you want to come with us?
1. Intonation is used to express different ideas when speaking.
2. We use Rising intonation…
3. Which tone would you use when asking, “Can I help you”?
4. If you use fall-rise intonation when saying "I think it’s blue", you mean...
5. Which tone would you use if you want to give an order?
6. There is only one kind of intonation.
7. When you request information and want to sound polite, use…
8. Intonation refers to the tone that we use when we say something.
9. If you want the message to be very clear, you use…
10. We use Falling intonation to invite somebody to do something.
11. Falling intonation indicates…
12. Fall-rise intonation describes how the voice falls at the end of the sentence
13. Which tone would you use to ask "where are you"?
14. Which tone would you use to ask for more tea politely?
15. If you are looking for a Yes/No answer, which tone would you use?